Tuesday, March 1, 2011

St. David's Day

Today is St. David's Day....what is that you might ask?  It is a celebration that folks of Welsh heritage observe.  I am very proud of the Welsh blood in my veins!  I am lucky enough to live in a community where the original settlement was primary Welsh.  Because of this there is a celebration every year in our little town on March 1. We celebrate with hot tea, (hot cider for those who might not like tea) and stone cakes.  Stone cakes are a traditional treat that originally were baked on hot stones, now it is done on electric griddles.  They look like a little pancake and are yummy!



 Daffodils are the symbol of Wales, so the room is beautifully decorated with daffodils and in yellow...very bright and springy!

The Welsh flag is displayed in the background.
Traditional hot tea is served from this beautiful tea pot!
Notice the banners on display that explain the Welsh heritage.


Many people come even if they are not Welsh, just to be a part of the community activity.  I am almost 100% Welsh.....so enjoy every moment!  My Dad told about everyone in the area going to the St. David's Day program when he was young, the children all had a part and it was a highlight of the year.

Country Blessings........

2 comments:

  1. Marilyn! I've just found your blog and feel ashamed of myself that I hadn't discovered it before. I will enjoy catching up with your past posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed my visit with you! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete